Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Why do professional makeup artists and hair stylists charge so much?

I have seen these "Why do photographers charge so much?" articles circulating for quite some time now. Well the same goes for makeup artists and hair stylists.
The same things really goes for any business owner. If it isn't clear in the work of the professional you are choosing to hire, it is up to you to do the research as to why that professional is charging what they do.

For me, I LOVE what I do, and I am so very grateful for how far I have come in my career. There is a reason as to why my prices are set to where they are, and why I don't offer "group discounts" or promotions with my bridal bookings.

Like anything, you get what you pay for. 

I may only spend a few hours actually delivering a makeup and hair service, but additionally:

I attended a prestigious makeup school where I studied film/TV, theater, special effects, fashion/beauty makeup as well as hair styling. This school did cost me a pretty penny.

I am so constantly investing in high quality products and tools for makeup and hair. These items are also not cheap.

I don't get paid vacations or sick days.

I don't get bonuses.

I don't have benefits or insurance plans.

A large chunk of my profits go to taxes.

I also spend a lot of my time with administrative duties. (Emails, phones calls, preparing contracts and invoices.) In addition, I do all of 95% of my own advertising and marketing. I create 95% all of my own ads, flyers, brochures etc. I manage my own blogs, websites and social media sites.

Time is also spent cleaning and prepping kits, traveling, as well as continuing my education in makeup and hair. I participate in many makeup and hair classes and workshops, online learning and research to make sure I can deliver the best to my clients, always.

The quality of work of which ever artist you chose to hire should be clear in their portfolio.


I have been nominated for many awards, and my work has been featured in a number of publications as well as on many prestigious bridal blogs: "Wedluxe," "Style Me Pretty", "Wedding Obsession", just to name a  few.



I have spent many years working in some of the best salons and cosmetic companies in Canada. I have trained under some of the top hair stylists, and makeup artists out there.

There is also a reason as to why my trials are also full price. I consider that makeup application or hair styling service the real deal. I am putting the same time and effort into my services, as well as using the same high end products as I would on the actual day of your special event. Often multiple looks are done, and there is also an amount of time spent actually consulting on what it is you are looking for with your makeup and hair.



"We are business owners. We LOVE what we do. We LOVE all things beauty. But, that LOVE does not pay the bills."